Wednesday, May 5, 2004

becoming you

God is the creator.

Do you believe that? I mean, do you really believe that?

He made you. He formed you. He came up with the idea of you. Before he thought of you, you weren't. And I'm not just talking about your body; I am talking about the very person that you are! Your personality is a perfect design, by the perfect designer. There is nothing about you that He doesn't already know... not because he is observing you, but because you are his creation.

Because of this, He knows how you can be the best you that you can be! But in order for this to happen, in order for us to fulfill our purpose for which we were created and to have the richest fullest life possible... we have to surrender. We have to stop doing things our way, and start doing things His way.

C.S. Lewis puts it this way:
The more we let God take us over, the more truly ourselves we become -- because he made us. He invented all the different people that you and I were intended to be.... It is when I turn to Christ, when I give up myself to His personality, that I first begin to have a real personality of my own.

Modern society tells us something different. In fact, you might tell yourself something different. It goes against our very nature to give up self. Its like when we think about that, self rears up and says, "whoa, wait a minute! I gotta be me!"

Today we hear a lot about, "finding yourself" or "taking time for yourself". Once, in an interview, Rich Mullins responded to that comment with, "... you'd be lucky to forget yourself!"

Jesus talks about self by saying, "take up your cross daily, deny yourself, and follow me!" Self, the sinful self that we were born with, must die. And it must continue to die... everyday!

You want to be the best you that you can be? You want to truly become you?

Then listen to your creator. Let the master potter form you, you lump of clay.

Normally I can't stand reading a book that I know several other people are reading, but I decided to swallow my pride and pick up the book, The Purpose Driven Life, By Rick Warren. It is a really good book. You should definitely consider giving it a spin around the block. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thought of your own.